Numerous case studies and videos of actual attacks on officers are dissected from a communication perspective and discussed with the goal of understanding and improving the student’s street interaction skills.
While the course is designed to be dynamic, practical and fun it takes the subject of officer safety seriously and begins by honoring those who have fallen in the line of duty. Participants will develop a basic understanding of human nature, discuss the true reality of violence and examine how effective communication skills are the most important weapons in detecting and preventing attacks.
Course topics will include but not be limited to:
- Officer safety and treating others with Dignity and Respect: not mutually exclusive ideologies
- Truths about the Human Animal
- The “IDIOT” factor (emotional aspect of the human spirit)
- The 93% (Body language and Paralinguistic Behavior)
- Proxemics (how humans use space to communicate)
- Command Presence
- Pre-Attack Indicators
- Detecting Deception
- Developing Effective Routines